Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tonight I'm a dummy



In all athletic disciplines, it is the internal work that makes the physical mat time click, but it is easy to lose touch with this reality in the middle of the grind. - Josh Waitzkin, “The Art Of Learning”



Tuesday FOD: Leopard Three

Knee very sore in the morning. Decided to rest it and just go to evening class. My plan was to hit the women's class in Seattle, but traffic congestion took care of that great idea. Note to self- must leave earlier than 4:15 to make Seattle evening class. It's just not practical, unfortunately.

Having missed enough of the women's class to not feel okay barging in, and with a little time to kill before the evening roster, I found SIDE CONTROL lying on the floor wrestling imaginary opponents in the boxing ring. I asked him if he wanted a dummy to drill on, and we played with some half guard escapes. Then he ran through the techniques he was going to teach in the basics class. I asked him if he wanted to use me for a demo dummy in the class, and he said sure. I would have liked to go to Rodrigo's class, but frankly, after sitting in gridlock for nearly two hours, I'm tired and frustrated and not in the best mindset to try to learn complex things. So that worked out okay.

I jumped Z before class started. I did not tap him with my razzle-dazzle baseball bat choke, but I tore off half a fingernail trying. He put one on *ME* from the bottom- and had almost tapped me with it before people started lining up. I asked him to show it to me, but we ran out of time.

Upa's again. Always a good thing to keep working on.

Headlock escapes. Grab your own wrist and make a framed circle with your arms. Place the edge of your frame under opponent's jaw and use it to push hir head (and thus torso) up and back. Hip out away from hir back, and get on your side. Use your topmost leg to comb over opponent's head and bring hir down. As hir arm sides off your neck, keep it for an armlock.

I've never pulled off this escape live; I think I have not been hipping out enough or turning on my side enough. Dave made much of the fact that you have much more range of motion with the leg once you're on your side.

2nd headlock escape: Throw your topmost leg over opponent's posted knee-up leg. You now have 1 hook of a back mount. Now get your matward elbow down and punch upward with the other arm, as you turn onto your belly. Get to your knees and try to retain opponent's arm (which is now twisted behind hir).

One roll with one of the white belt ladies, Megan. She has done Muay Tai and hapkido in the past. She is only a few weeks old here, but she's pretty good. Long arms and legs, really strong, good base and body awareness/coordination, good idea of basically what she's trying to do in a roll. My knee hurt really bad at one point during this one, so I decided to not do any more tonight.

I had hoped that Rodrigo wouldn't think I was avoiding him or anything by not taking his class. I haven't seen him in a long time. But I got a hug, and he congratulated me on my promotion and said that I deserved it- which was really nice to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment