Monday, December 3, 2012

Evening... day 1 of Jobless Jiu Jitsu Camp




You've just dumped a scumbag. Don't put your gun away. You scan the area. Jackals and lions travel in packs. You probably will never be involved in another shooting in your entire life. This is it! Make the most of it. This is a target rich environment. See if there is someone else that needs to be shot. -Greg Hamilton


Evening BJJ at Sleeper.

Hook hand on back of opponent's neck, snap down. Grab guillotine-esque hold on that side.

With your other hand, push opponent's arm across hir own chest. (If hir arm is posted straight, do NOT shove it in- serious injury potential- but you can hike hir up a titch with the neck hold and THEN shove it across).

Gable grip. You don't want to be right in the armpit, but far enough down so that s/he can't move the arm around. Snug it all in real tight.

Place head on mat under your joined hands and gator roll. Ruin your feet around and wrap them in opponent's legs. SQUEEZE.

I recall having done this a few times before and I always struggled with it. This time, I seemed to catch on better.

Defending this: before s/he rolls, scoot to the side so that you are perpendicular to opponent. Brace hand on hir far knee. Pry neck grip off and hang off the side of hir turtle.

Then we did flow drills: side control, scarf, north-south, scarf on the other side, side control, front mount, side control, etc.

Note that with the rib injury, scarf on the side OPPOSITE the bad rib hurts like being being impaled with a rusty bayonet. We had a new girl, her very first day, and I doubt her weight broke the double digits- and I almost cried when she scarfed me on that side. I think having anyone else do it would kill me. Need to AVOID THAT POSITION for a while.

Rolls with Jalen, Sony, Chord. Jalen usually gets the takedown on me with his wrestling techniques, which I am poor at countering. Tonight he just kept getting up so that I'd have to work standup with him- hoping to just rack up the takedown points. I defended some of them, enough to hold my head up. I don't think I am ever gonna get a tap on this kid again in my life, though.

Sony- still improving. I gave her a few pointers, including my patented white belt knee-ride tutorial. Her escape was still sloppy and slow, so will hit her with that again next time.  I tried the gi choke from this morning on her. I didn't have that all-important arm trapped, but I decided to risk that she was too white-belty to grab the opening to escape. I got the choke. It was exciting.

Chord- whew. He tapped me two or three times (once with a leg attack- thanks a lot Lamont, I know you're teaching him that crap!). He continues to flow continuously and it's a bitch to fight him because he's always on the move. He did give me a fat lip and a jammed finger (both accidents... but people are definitely going harder on me).

1 comment:

  1. congrats again on your purple... that is just plain awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete