Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kirkland



…Their minds are always hyperactive, too caught up in the unstoppable flow of thoughts to pay any attention to the ecstasy dancing in front of their noses. They don’t know what it means to live in a body that doesn’t just serve as a machine carrying the mind from one place to another. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path



134.0

In my week of experimentation with calorie counting, the sad fact has emerged that I have to stay below 1000 cals per day just to avoid gaining. If I want to lose, I have to be well under 1000 *and* go to at least one class.

Bring on the zombocalypse! I will be able to survive (and fight) on one kernel of corn per day.



Evening BJJ at KIRKLAND! First night of class. This pod is close to my place and I think the commute traffic on the streets between should not be awful. It's a nice space. 2 big, nicely remodeled bathrooms (1 with a shower), a roomy women's changing room, garage door at the far end of the mat
to open when it's hot, high ceilings.

The only thing I *don't* like about it is that it's right next door to the ferret rescue- which opens up the horrid possibility of running into SK at some point. Hopefully he is too busy to be volunteering. Hopefully he has moved very far away. Hopefully he has been abducted by aliens.

I sneaked up behind Will and choked him, leading into a warm-up roll.

Standup: Pummelling. Then: pummeling to ankle pick.

Then: One partner stands, the other lies on hir back. "Down" person sits up, scoots in and turns the corner to end hugging the leg and pressing back of shin with shoulder. Side to side.

Finally: Standup, one sleeve cuff grap and one lapel grip. Step on opponent's hip on the same side that you have the sleeve cuff grip. Drop onto back, swing free leg out wide, square up and place both feet on opponent's hips. Let go of lapel and grab behind foe's ankle. On CUFF GRIP side, take foot off hip and spider guard. Pretend you're going to push opponent over backward.... but suddenly jerk hir arm across your own body and pull the ankle to make hir face plant instead. Get up, KEEP ANKLE and push it ahead of you as you get up to avoid the closed guard.

Picture time- I declined to be in the photo, so they had me be the photographer.

Three rolls with that good blue belt guy from Edmonds- he dominated me utterly and tapped me three times.

Then I rested a bit and cuddled Pat's dog- who tried to french-kiss me as usual. You really need to keep your face well out of Mochi's reach. After he licked both of my arms from wrist to shoulder, he settled down and gave me his back. I called Pat's attention over, and pretended to RNC his dog.

A little rolling with Lindsey, who was on top most of the time, and tapped me with a keylock. Then they were shooing us out.
 

4 comments:

  1. Um woah, you're small, but that's way too few calories for an active person. (Which has me suspecting that something else is up with your metabolism - I'd guess increased cortisols from lack of sleep and other assorted physiological stress, but it's not like we've been hugely in touch recently.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make even more sense.

    (Yes, I posted the above, then went to teach a class in Rochester - well, Chapin Mill - and then down to Ithaca to beat on Mark.)

    So, um, do you have insurance right now? Because this would be a good thing to get treated on any number of levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl... Seriously. Go get your thyroid levels tested. Tell me what numbers come back and check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. Specifically their list of symptoms. You may technically be within the "normal" range (which is extremely wide) but it's better to treat symptoms. I was the SAME WAY having to eat 900 cal a day AND train all the time to cut weight. Freezing hands, feet, dry skin, brain fog. A small daily dose of synthroid has me maintaining on a much healthier 1700 cal a day. :)

    ReplyDelete