Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sunday




Teaching beginners, you have to break down a lot of conditioning.  Years and decades of being told not to be rude. Don't swear, don't spit, don't use nasty words and don't touch people inappropriately.  Almost everything that falls under the umbrella of self-defense is rude.  Injuring people is very inappropriate physical contact.  Setting boundaries is yelling at strangers.  How can you hit someone if you can't even look him in the eye? –Rory Miller




Sunday at Seattle. Rounds of KOTH positional training, which is what Peter usually has us do on the Sundays that I have attended. Besides Peter, we had (brown belt) Steven, whom I haven't seen in about 3 years; and George (!) George was just going to sit and watch, because he didn't want to put on a gi. I said, "Come on, come on, put on a gi and come play with us!" He tried to get Peter to let him roll without a gi, and I was like,  "NO, NO WAY, that sandbagger is going to kick all our asses without the added advantage of us not being able to get any grips on him." A couple of good blue belts, and one white.

Even the brown belts had a heck of a time trying to pass my half guard, which was cool. Granted, they refrained from smashing me- but they had a heck of a time trying to pass my half guard without being dicks (for which I am grateful to them).  Peter tried to use his free foot to pry me off, and then I grabbed his foot and trapped it right up under his butt. He was stuck there forever. "Frustrating."  Next round, he stuck his free leg way out. I said, "What's the matter, ya don't wanna stick that leg up there again?"  "No way!"

I am *so* getting off on these time-lapse BJJ class vids. Here's a little no-gi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5cM2xRO_8&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment